Sunday, 24 November 2013

Cairns trip 2013

Back into the swing of work again, and it's hard to remember that I've ever been on holidays! About a month ago, I went on a family trip to Cairns. It was so laid-back and fun, definitely one of those places you can keep visiting over and over again.

On the first day, we only really had half a day so went over to Green Island for some snorkelling & a ride on the semi-submersible.



A very fitting tropical lychee drink to celebrate holidays!

It was an absolutely beautiful day to go snorkelling - sunny, mild and hardly any wind.

We stayed at the Jack & Newell apartments, a nice boutique apartment, right in the city and near the marina wharf.



Four Mile beach

Alexandra lookout

It took some time getting used to all the croc signs at the beaches. Yikes!

Cape Tribulation beach

We stopped by the Daintree Icecream company during the drive to Cape Tribulation. It was well worth the stop, the ice cream was delish! They only serve a cup with the flavours of the day, so you can't choose - we got mango, wattleseed, coconut, passionfruit. The coconut was my favourite, so flavoursome and it even had shredded coconut. Wattleseed came a close second.

After devouring the ice cream, they even have a little map that tells you a bit about the orchard, and you can go for a wander around.

Banana tree

Jackfruit


Paragliding on the roadside, on the way back to Cairns from Cape Trib

Did the touristy thing and went on the Skyrail to Kuranda. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would, with the bird park. Fed the birds and got absolutely bombarded!



Cute, but man those claws hurt!

Highly recommend the crepe shop at Kuranda. The roasted pineapple and salted caramel crepes were out of this world amazing. 



Posting this makes me wish I were on holidays again! Luckily I have a month off over Christmas, so off to Hong Kong & Tokyo it is. Only 4 more weeks to go!!

3 comments:

Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

amazing photos miss k! I've never been to cairns but really want to. And lucky you, what a great xmas break you have coming up. jelly x

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Looks like an awesome holiday! Love going snorkelling - it's so peaceful and I love spying on all the fishies!

ChopinandMysaucepan said...

Dear Karen,

I have never been to Cairns and it looks like a tropical paradise. I wouldn't be as brave as you with those birds though. My phobia with those scratchy feet!